Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Health/Spending Dilemma

Remember the boot camp that inspired a "buddy system" post a while back? Well, I'm finishing up week 3, and it's no joke. The trainer leads the class through drill after drill for about an hour, four days a week. Classes are fun, the people are encouraging, and I'm definitely seeing results, which is much more than I can say for other things I've tried.

Let me give you a little bit of background, first. At the end of my first year in college, the freshman 15 turned into more of a freshman 30. I tried exercising and dieting every year during break, but couldn't really get my weight down due to stress, work load, and all of the crap I feed my body daily. It became my goal after graduation to get back into shape and maintain a healthy weight. I lost all of the 30 pounds I gained and am less than 10lbs away from my weight goal. That's great and all...but I hit a wall in the fall of 2009. My weight's been fluctuating around the same place ever since.

Here's where my dilemma comes in. I'm actually seeing results with this boot camp. My pants are loose, and I'm feeling stronger. I can even see definition in my abs! But sadly, boot camp ends next week for me. If I want to continue for another 4 weeks, it'll cost me between $100 to $200, depending on whether it's negotiable or not. If you've been reading my blog, you'll know that I set a monthly discretionary spending of $100. This will definitely put me over. Should I stick to the budget or should I do another month of boot camp? (I'm pretty sure another month is all I need, and I'll be able to keep going on my own from there).

I want to stick to the budget on principle because I'd consider it a failure if I don't. Part of me thinks that what's the point of a budget if I can't keep it…right? On the other hand, I really want to beat this weight loss plateau once and for all. With the boot camp, I seem to have found a way to stay motivated and get results. Maybe I can compromise by finding other places to cut spending or would that also just be wiggling around my original defined goal?

What would you do? Do you think breaking my budget is justified?

0 comments:

Post a Comment